Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some Brilliant Recipes from Other Food Blogs That I've Tried Lately

I do try quite a few recipes from fellow food bloggers, but disproportionally many of the recipes are from Molly. I've already written about her bouchons au thon (K. recently spotted them at his friend's birthday party as well) and her (chocolate and nut 'blocks'), to name just a few.


More recently we've devoured her vinegar-roasted shallots (above, and utterly brilliant! We simply ate these with buttered slice of rye bread), and tomato sauce with onions and butter (right). Note that both of these recipes have just four ingredients, yet generous amounts of flavour!

We brought back some artichokes from Spain, and last night I cleaned and cooked them, and then served with Molly's friend's Olaiya's Favourite Artichoke Dipping Sauce (reduced white wine, butter, parmesan cheese and lemon juice). Mmmmmm...

My dear friend Johanna is another constant source of inspiration. Few weeks ago we had a small gathering at our place with some of K's colleagues a.k.a. our Austrian skiing team. Obviously there had to be something Austrian at the table, and obviously I turned to Johanna's blog for inspiration. I decided to make Wiener Schnitzel, using veal fillet from a local butchery, and it made an excellent buffet table dish:



Also recently, and for the umpteenth time I made Alanna's spicy carrot side dish again - one of K's favourite ways with carrots.



I tried poaching eggs in a plastic wrap as Nicky suggested - quirky and easy-peasy - and comes handy when the Estonian asparagus season kicks off in a week or two..

Soon to come: all the must-try recipes from Ximena's Lobstersquad blog!

10 comments:

Finla said...

You have been busy cooking ;-)

Sylvie said...

YOu've picked some pretty good looking and yummy sounding recipes from all those blogs.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Wow nice pictures, it all looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

when does the asparagus season start and where do you get them here? so far i have not seen any on sale nor do i know anyone who grows them.

Cerebrum said...

Heh. I get disproportionally many of my recipes from Molly, too. The rest here looks really nice too, though - I need to try that plastic wrap egg poaching method - I've only done it with quails eggs...

Babeth said...

Great trials! stunning pictures

Kristopher said...

What's the source of the veal? Would they sell to outsiders?

Molly said...

Pille, this post made me so happy! Thank you for all your kind words about these recipes. I'm blushing...

Hope your week is off to a great start.

Jeanne said...

Those look like some damn fine recipes - I'm particularly taken with the roasted shallots. And the poach-in-a-bag recipe for eggs is on my to do list too!

Pille said...

Happy Cook – well, somebody must do the job :)

Sylvie – thanks! But there are SO MANY more out there- I wish I had the time, energy and money to try them all!

Anon. – Uus-Kongo stand sells locally-grown asparagus at the Tallinn Keskturg, as well as Stockmann (but I’d opt for the market, as it’s fresher). Try in a week or two, perhaps? Last year I bought asparagus on May 16 (see the post here).

Zarah Maria – we should form a Molly fan club J

Kristopher – I get mine from Viimsi lihakarn aka the excellent butcher’s shop on Rohuneeme tee (5 minute walk from my house). It’s not available all the time, however, but often enough.

Molly – thank YOU for all those excellent recipes! I cannot wait to read your book when it’s published.

Jeanne – those roasted shallots were mmmmmmmmmmmm-delicious. I should make them again soon..

Jessy and Babeth – thank you!