Friday, June 27, 2008

Another Quick Brunch Recipe: Swiss Toast with Egg and Cheese



I seem to get excited about brunch recipes recently. First there was this utterly simple, yet genius idea of cracking an egg into a tomato 'shell' and baking it in the oven (Baked Eggy Brunch Tomatoes). Then I saw a recipe for 'Swiss Toasts' in Oma Maitse, an Estonian food magazine. The recipe was simple enough - slice of buttered bread, boiled halved eggs smeared with mayonnaise and topped with cheese. But I wanted something even simpler, so I omitted the butter and 're-located' the mayonnaise.

It's brilliant, should you happen to find some boiled eggs in your fridge in the morning. We've made it twice during last week alone, so I definitely recommend it. Use a cheese that melts nicely - and although I've made it with white bread, brown or rye bread would work well, too.

Grilled Swiss Toast with Egg and Cheese
(Šveitsi võileivad)
Serves 2, can be easily doubled

4 slices of bread
4 tsp of mayonnaise
2 boiled eggs
4 slices of cheese (f. ex. Havarti)

Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F.
Smear the mayonnaise onto bread slices.
Peel the eggs and cut into two halves lenghtwise. Place one egg half on each slice of bread, cut side down.
Balance a slice of cheese on top.
Put into a hot oven for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is starting to melt and the egg and bread are warm.

Garnish with a sprig of thyme from your windowsill and serve with some sliced tomatoes.

13 comments:

ChichaJo said...

Egg for breakfast or brunch is perfect in my book :) This is going into the egg-files for sure!

(I love the photo!)

Anonymous said...

How easy! Not to fancy it up but wouldn't it be nice if the mayo happened to be a homemade version with some fresh herbs in it? Wish I had some bread because I do have the eggs!

Anonymous said...

The weekend is here and I smell a brunch on the horizon.

I think I'll give it a go.

Thx!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anyone would start their day wonderfully having this delicious dish for breakfast, Pille!

Jen said...

Happy Belated Blog Birthday...and hooray to another 3 years of drool-worthy recipes. Keep them coming!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

What a lovely presentation, and yet so simple to make. Isn't everything better with melted cheese on top?!

Katrin said...

These egg toasties have been my family's favourite for some time now. But I made a little adjustment by slicing the eggs and adding some extra majo on top of the eggs as well. So yummy!!! :)

GrowItGreen said...

I loved this recipe, easy and delicious. Thank you for sharing.

for an interesting article on unique dishes for brunch check out http://www.foodista.com/2008/03/09/smoked-fish-for-brunch/#more-124

Y said...

I looove that photo. Looks like the perfect brunch! :)

Katie Zeller said...

I loved the 'egg in tomato cup' idea.... But this one is quick enough for me to actually do for breakfast. (I'd do the other for a starter)

Jeanne said...

Stunning photo - I will definitely be trying this as it's eggy enough for Nick and cheesey enough for me!

Pille said...

Chicjajo - I agree :)

Alanna - a homemade mayo is always even better, of course. But some of us are way too lazy - and a wee bit scared on uncooked egg yolks, you know :)

Chefledarney - did you try this?

Patricia Scarpin - that's true!

JenJen - thank you!!

Lydia - melted cheese can raise many dishes to another lever, I agree!

Katrin - I tried with extra mayo on top the first few times, but then decided it's a waste of mayo :) However, I'll try the sliced egg version!

GrowItGreen - thank you for letting me know!

Y - thanks!

Katie - well, you can try both at once. First this egg and cheese toast, and by the time you're finished, the egg in tomato cup is done:)

Jeanne - oh, thank you!!

Babeth said...

Care sharing this brunch recipe again for a good cause?
I'm trying to raise awareness about a rare type of cancer, sarcoma. If you want more info check this page: http://help-beat-sarcoma-a-thon.blogspot.com/2008/10/welcome.html
Thanks a lot! Merci!