Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Rhubarb Sponge Cake with Almonds Recipe

Rhubarb sponge / Rabarbribiskviit mandlilaastudega

Should you still have couple of rhubarb stalks lying around, then here's a simple cake recipe. It's a real classic here in Estonia*. I made this couple of times during May, and will be certainly making it again soon. Although my favourite fruit to use here is rhubarb, it would be just as good with any other seasonal fruit and berries - raspberries, gooseberries, apples - you name it. I've 'spiked it up' with some almond slices, and think it makes all the difference, as the almonds give a nice crunchy texture and lovely flavour to the otherwise very simple cake.

If possible, then try to use good free-range organic eggs for this cake - this gives you the prettiest shade of yellow, and a good rise to the cake.

Rhubarb Sponge Cake with Almonds
(Rabarbribiskviit mandlilaastudega)
Serves 6

300 g rhubarb
1 Tbsp caster sugar

4 Tbsp caster sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
4 Tbsp plain/all-purpose flour, sifted
a handful of almond slices

butter for the dish
icing sugar, to serve

Butter a 25x25 cm square dish or line with parchment paper.
Cut rhubarb (peeled, if necessary) into thin slices and scatter into the dish. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of sugar.
Whisk eggs and sugar into a thick and pale foam (it takes about 7-9 minutes, using an electric mixer). Carefully fold in the flour.
Pour the batter onto the rhubarb slices in the baking dish.
Scatter almond slices on top.
Bake in the middle of a pre-hreated 175 Celsius oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the cake has risen and is light golden on top. Do not open the oven door during the first 30 minutes, or the cake will collapse!
Cool in the tin, then lift onto a cake plate and dust with icing sugar.

* It feels weird saying 'here in Estonia' when I'm actually writing this post from Alanna's lovely home in St Louis, Missouri :)

18 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

It warms my heart to think of you and Alanna having a wonderful time together. Enjoy your visit to the US.

Kalyn Denny said...

I do hope you two are having the greatest time!

Sylvie said...

What a lovely looking sponge cake. I hope you're enjoying your trip.

Finla said...

Beautiful looking cake.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pille, that is one wonderful cake - I love the layers!

Katie Zeller said...

I love rhubarb but haven't seen any this year in the markets... I have to go to bigger markets!
I hope you are having a wonderful time in the U.S. - and are having better weather there than here!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastically delicious. :)

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

This looks just divine and yummy!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Kristiina said...

Oma lühikesel Eestis käigus tegin seda lihtsat ja võluvat kooki. Aitäh Pille selle eest!

ChichaJo said...

That looks like a delicious cake! I wish we had more rhubarb here for me to try all your recipes :)

Hope you are having a blast!

jasmine said...

Ooh! Isn't Alanna wonderful? So glad I got to meet her last year

Your cake looks great--should my friend show up with more rhubarb, I may try this cake.

j

Jeanne said...

Oh how delicious! And sounds realyl easy to make too. Bookmarked :)

Lauren Rothman said...

I plan to make this cake, however I'm wondering if it easily comes out of the pan? Do you have to invert it first? It seems like the rhubarb at the bottom would make it difficult to turn out. Please let me know!

- Lauren at in-good-taste.blogspot.com

Peabody said...

That looks like a fabulous way to use rhubarb!

Nora B. said...

This sponge cake recipe looks great - quick, simple and with few ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

nora

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Yummy! Looks like a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb, never used in a cake though but it's a great idea! Your cake looks delicious!

Kana said...

I used to have rhubarb growing wild in my backyard. Thanks for that cake recipe!